This layered bake has all the flavors of a true mexican fiesta but it’s healthy mexican food with the magical benefits of Pearled Barley.
We love our tacos but this simple casserole is a family hit.
All this magic with only 3/4 of a cup of
Peppers, garlic and onions are the basis for this delicious bake. Followed by delicious ground browned turkey, store bought yes….. store bought salsa. shredded cheese and sliced green onions.
- 2 cups chicken broth or water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 cup Mochi barley
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- pinch kosher salt
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 16 ounces prepared fresh salsa
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 4 green onions, sliced
- In a medium saucepan, place the chicken broth, cumin, chili powder and dried oregano. Heat this up and stir in barley. Cook the pearled barley for 15 minutes….yes that’s right! Only 15 minutes.
- While the barley is cooking preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a nonstick 13 x 9″ baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Add the oil to a non-stick pan, brown the ground turkey until it is brown and cooked through.
- Then add the onion, garlic and bell pepper strips. Season with salt and chili powder. Set aside.
- Now move the cooked barley into the bottom of the baking dish. Spread it out so it is even and in every corner. After that add the pepper and turkey mix, again making sure it’s even.
- Then add the store bought salsa, then cheese, and finally sprinkle with green onions.
- Bake in approximately 15-20 minutes until cheese is completely melted.
NOTE: If you’re not using quick-cooking pearled barley, which takes 15 minutes to cook in boiling water vs 60 you could save some time in the kitchen by soaking your grains a day before. That makes working with traditional pearled barley SO much easier when considering that NOBODY has time to wait 60 minutes in the kitchen anymore.