Check out our Simmered Tomato Barley Pork Stew that can be cooked in just one pot – SO EASY TO CLEAN UP! Sometimes finding the right dish is about seeing what’s in your pantry and cross-referencing with how much time is on your plate. Simmered Tomato Barley Pork stew is a healthy dinner recipe – but NOBODY will ever know! We work late creating easy one-pot recipes for you to use. As a result, this one is a no-brainer. The pork melds well with the barley and the tomato gives enough acidity to make it tangy too! This was such a hit at our kitchen pot-luck, so we just had to share it! (Click here to check out our other great Mochi Barley recipes!)
Total Cooktime: 30min
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking Mochi Barley
- 1 pound Ground Pork
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped cabbage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 2 14.5-ounce cans vegetable broth
- 1 10 3/4-ounce can condensed tomato soup
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- Cook ground pork in 1 teaspoon hot oil in large skillet for 3 to 4 minutes or until pork is no longer pink, breaking pork into large crumbles. Drain and discard juices. Transfer pork to large saucepan.
- Cook cabbage, onion, and carrot in remaining 2 teaspoons oil about 3 minutes or until slightly soften. Transfer to saucepan.
- Add broth, condensed soup, oregano, and pepper.
- Very gently simmer, covered for 30 minutes.
- Add barley and simmer, covered, about 10 minutes more or until barley is tender.
HEY!: If you’re not using quick-cooking Mochi Barley, the #1 japanese pearled barley brand in Japan you are missing out. Mochi Barley only takes 15 minutes to cook in boiling water versus 60 for other barley brands.
GREAT TIP: You can save some time in the kitchen by soaking your grains a day before. That makes working with traditional pearled barley SO much easier when considering that NOBODY has time to wait 60 minutes in the kitchen anymore.
Then again, if you have a day to soak your grains, you might as well just order up some today!