These delicious Barely Coconut Macaroon cookies are the perfect after-school or mid-afternoon treat. All the yumminess of good coconut macaroon with a dose of healthy nutty barley. A great and tasty way to sneak some more fiber into your diet. This awesome recipe is kid friendly, and provides a healthier alternative to the comforting junk food we all hate to love. Add some flair by dipping them in chocolate or drizzle some chocolate over the top to make everyone smile.
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup dry quick-cooking Mochi Barley , The #1 Japanese pearl barley
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Spray cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, beat egg whites with an electic mixer.
- Add vanilla extract, almond extract, and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, and whip until stiff.
- Stir together flour, salt, coconut, and barley in a separate bowl; fold into egg whites.
- Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until slightly golden. Allow cookies to cool on a baking sheet. Once cool drizzle with chocolate for a fancy twist.
HEY!: If you’re not using quick-cooking Mochi Barley, the #1 japanese pearled barley brand in Japan you are missing out. Mochi Barley only takes 15 minutes to cook in boiling water versus 60 for other barley brands.
GREAT TIP: You can save some time in the kitchen by soaking your grains a day before. That makes working with traditional pearled barley SO much easier when considering that NOBODY has time to wait 60 minutes in the kitchen anymore.
Then again, if you have a day to soak your grains, you might as well just order up some today!