Your NEW favorite Beef and Barley Stew Recipe:
A bowl of beef and barley stew is perfect for your next gloomy day, whether it be winter or a spring shower.
Warm and comforting, from the slow cooker which does all of the hardest work for you, so gather your ingredients and jump right into the kitchen. By late afternoon, you’ll have a yummy and healthy stew.
Serves 4- 6
Total Cook time: 6 hours
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 pound chuck cut into cubes
- 2 TBSP flour
- 1 TSP salt, divided
- 1/4 TSP black pepper
- 1 onion coarsely chopped
- 1 bay leave
- 2 TSP dried thyme
- 1 6-ounce tomato paste
- 2 cups carrots sliced
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2/3 to 1 cup (based on preference) (equates to 2 – 3 packets) of quick-cooking Mochi Mugi Japanese pearl barley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 1 8oz brown mushrooms, quartered
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 1/2 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 (12-ounce) bottle of beer – optional
- Heat oil in a stockpot over medium-high heat
- Sprinkle beef with 1/2 teaspoon salt, flour and pepper
Add beef to pan; until browned:
- Remove from pan and place crockpot
- Add onion and garlic to crockpot
- Stir in tomato paste, thyme, carrots, mushrooms, bay leaf, beef, broth, Worcestershire, and beer
- Cook on low for 5 hours
- In the final hour add the Mochi barley pearled barley packets
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
10. Cook on low for 1 additional hour
11. Mix, salt and pepper to taste again if needed, then serve and ENJOY!
HEY!: If you’re not using quick-cooking Mochi Barley, the #1 Japanese pearled barley brand in Japan you are missing out. Mochi Barley only takes 15 minutes to cook in boiling water versus 60 for other barley brands.
GREAT TIP: You can save some time in the kitchen by soaking your grains a day before. That makes working with traditional pearled barley SO much easier when considering that NOBODY has time to wait 60 minutes in the kitchen anymore.
Then again, if you have a day to soak your grains, you might as well just order up some today!