Mexican and ramen? MUY BUENO! Our Mexican Chicken Ramen recipe can be just the ticket for slow burn heat and true Mexican flavor.
Avocado, lime, cilantro keep this dish tasty and intresting. Ramen may not be the first thing you think of when wanting Mexican food… but oh its so good!
VEGAN TIP 1: Substitute chickpeas- saute with the garlic for just a couple minutes before continuing with the recipe. You can also use both chickpeas and chicken for a heartier version.
Mexican Chicken (or chickpea) Noodle soup
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soup, main, dinner
- Method: Stove-top
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1–2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion- diced
- 4 garlic cloves- rough chopped
- 1 – 1 1/4 lbs. chicken breast diced into cubes (or two cans chickpeas, drained)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano (or a couple bay leaves)
- ⅛ – ¼ teaspoons chipotle powder or cayenne, or to taste
- 1 tomato – diced
- 1 small can diced green chilies (optional)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- 1 pack fresh ramen noodles from Hakubaku (or our 100% vegan salt-free Udon noodles)
- Juice of one lime
- Garnish with avocado slices, fresh cilantro, scallions and lime
- In a large heavy bottom pot or dutch oven, saute onion in 1-2 T olive oil over med-high heat for two minutes.
- Add chicken and garlic. Saute 5-6 minutes until it begins to brown, stirring often.
- Add salt and spices, oregano and cook 1 more minute. Add tomato, chilies, stock and water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, add pasta, resisting the temptation to add more( it will swell). Bring to a boil once more, turn heat to medium, and simmer ten minutes or until pasta is done cooking.
- Squeeze the lime, taste, adjust salt if necessary.
- Place in bowls and top with sliced avocado and fresh cilantro and scallions and serve with a wedge of lime.
recipe: from our friends @feastingathome