The vegan black bean barley burger – They won’t even know its not meat!
Burgers are essential in the American cuisine but we love this healthy combination using black beans and Mochi Barley. Make it healthy (and vegan) with NO MEAT and Mochi Barley!
We all know how much Mochi Barley simplifies life, once again we found a way.
Vegan Black Bean Barley Burger is a perfect way to enjoy the most American food- while keeping it light and healthy. And most importantly , if you crave a cheese burger – just add soy cheese or nut based cheeses for that perfect bite. Once you eat this vegan version of our burger you will feel great and therefore much healthier.
- 1 ½ cups of Mochi Barley cooked and then cooled
- ½ cup canned black beans( drained) – pureed in a food processor
- ¼ cup roasted red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup canned corn- drained
- 1⁄8 cup finely diced onion
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp Montreal Steak Spice
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1⁄8 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp of oil
- Pinch of salt & pepper
1. Cook Mochi Barley according to package and set aside to cool
2. In a mixing bowl add the cooked and cooled Mochi Barley, pureed black beans, red pepper,corn, sweet onions, garlic, Montreal steak spice, dried oregano together. Add the egg, liquid smoke, salt & pepper, rolled oats, and flour. Mix until everything is combined.
3. Shape each burger to be about ¼ inch thick. In a heated nonstick pan, add a tablespoon of oil and fry each side for approximately 5 minutes each.
4. Build and garnish your burger with your desired toppings and enjoy!
NOTE: If you’re not using quick-cooking pearled barley, which takes 15 minutes to cook in boiling water vs 60 you could save some time in the kitchen by soaking your grains a day before. That makes working with traditional pearled barley SO much easier when considering that NOBODY has time to wait 60 minutes in the kitchen anymore.