Ramen, the steaming bowl of flavorful comfort, is a beloved dish worldwide. But what if you’re vegan and craving that rich umami taste without the meat? Enter our Veggie Lemongrass Tofu Ramen, a mouthwatering creation that’s completely plant-based and brimming with tantalizing flavors.
This ramen recipe is a delightful fusion of traditional Japanese ramen and the fragrant, zesty notes of lemongrass. It’s a dish that proves you don’t need meat to savor the beauty of ramen. We’ll guide you through the process, step by step, so you can craft your very own homemade vegan ramen masterpiece.
Lemongrass is often finely chopped or pounded in order to break down the tough stalks. The bottom third of the stalks holds the most flavor. Once minced or pounded, lemongrass can be added to marinades or grilled meats for a touch of sweet citrusy flavor or used to brighten curry pastes and simple sauces. Used extensively in Vietnamese cooking and dishes. We use it here for a unique flavor!
- 2 packs of Hakubaku ramen noodles
- 1 block of extra-firm tofu, pressed and cubed
- 6 cups of vegetable broth
- 3 lemongrass stalks, smashed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 red chili, thinly sliced (adjust to your spice preference)
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 1 cup steamed baby bok choy, trimmed
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Lemongrass Broth:
- In a large pot, add the vegetable broth, lemongrass stalks, ginger, and garlic. Bring it to a gentle boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 20-25 minutes. This allows the fragrant lemongrass flavors to infuse the broth.
- Tofu Prep:
- While the broth simmers, prepare the tofu. Press the tofu to remove excess moisture, then cut it into small cubes. Heat a pan with a bit of oil, and pan-fry the tofu until it’s golden and crispy on all sides. Set aside.
- Strain the Broth:
- Strain the lemongrass broth to remove the solids, leaving you with a clear and fragrant broth.
- In the same pot, bring the strained broth to a boil. Add the soy sauce and sesame oil. Toss in the veggies. Let them cook for about 3-4 minutes until they’re tender-crisp.
- While the vegetables cook, prepare the Hakubaku ramen noodles according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Divide the cooked noodles among serving bowls. Ladle the lemongrass broth and vegetables over the noodles. Top each bowl with crispy tofu, sliced green onions, red chili slices, and fresh cilantro leaves.
- Serve your Veggie Lemongrass Tofu Ramen with lime wedges for a burst of citrusy flavor.
Now you’re ready to enjoy a steaming bowl of vegan ramen that’s bursting with the refreshing essence of lemongrass. Slurp away, and savor the harmonious flavors of this delightful dish!
Remember, this recipe is a canvas for your creativity. Feel free to adjust the spice level or add your favorite veggies for a personalized touch. Happy ramen-making!