Fall is around the corner and kids are enjoying their last few days of summer before they head back to school. Soon the leaves will be turning and the air will become crisp. Perfect weather for apple picking and indulgent desserts. This apple crisp barley bake is a twist on the traditional apple crisp. It offers the delicious taste of traditional crisp but provides a little extra fiber making it healthier than the regular crisp.
- 1 sleeve (3/4 cup) Mochi Barley pearl barley, uncooked
- 1 lb apple- peeled, cored, and chopped
- 4 TBSP sugar
- Rind of one lemon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, diced
- Cook in 2 cups of boiling water until tender, about 15 min.
- While barley is cooking, prepare the crumb topping. In a medium bowl, mix together the sugar and flour. Mix in butter with a fork or stand mixer just until the topping is crumbly, set aside.
- Do not drain the barley, when barley is cooked add sugar, lemon and apples
- Pour mixture into a 9×9 baking dish and place the crumb mixture on top. Bake for an hour on 325 degrees.
- Serve with Ice Cream or by itself.