There is an odd comforting feeling that goes along with the thought of broccoli and rice or broccoli and cheese. Finally we have the best of everything all in one dish, this broccoli salad is the best! Broccoli chopped up, seasoned lightly with garlic and red pepper flakes. Cooled off with the tang of lemon juice and the zesty flavor of the lemon skin. Finished off with the creaminess of Parmesan cheese. Risotto who? Rice bowl what? This is the ultimate summer salad, warm it’s the ultimate comfort food.
Either way it’s Mochi Barley bliss. And bliss that’s thrown together quickly and easily! Broccoli Summer Salad- yes!
- 1/2 cup Mochi Barley
- 2 pounds of broccoli
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon and the juice of said lemon.
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a pot of water to boil with the broccoli. Once the water is boiling and you have boiled the broccoli for 5 minutes, drain it and place it on a paper towel to soak up any extra water.
- Prepare the Mochi Barley by boiling 2 cups of water and placing 1/2 cup of dry barley ( 2 convince packs) and cooking it for ONLY 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Chop broccoli into small bits.
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat until hot.
- Then add the minced garlic and pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add chopped broccoli, lemon zest, and salt. Cook, stirring, for 4- 5 more minutes, until broccoli is slightly more tender.
- Add broccoli and every bit of garlic and oil from the pan to the bowl of Barley. Stir to combine. Add lemon juice, black pepper and more salt to taste.
- Then stir in the Parmesan cheese. YUM!!!
NOTE: If you’re not using quick-cooking pearled barley, which takes 15 minutes to cook in boiling water vs 60 you could save some time in the kitchen by soaking your grains a day before. That makes working with traditional pearled barley SO much easier when considering that NOBODY has time to wait 60 minutes in the kitchen anymore.