The Mochi Barley Greek Salad is a quick salad to have at any gathering, picnic or get together. Only takes about 15minutes, or, about the time our Mochi Barley takes to cook. Make it healthy and easy at your next picnic with the Mochi Barley Greek Salad. We all know how much Mochi Barley simplifies life, once again we found a way. That is why its called the Unexpected Superfood.
- 1 cups of Mochi Barley
- 1 cup pearled barley
- Kosher salt
- 2 cups yellow and red cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded, ribs removed and diced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the barley, 3 cups water and a pinch salt in a medium-size saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer until the barley is tender, about 45 minutes. Drain in a colander and let cool.
- Combine the tomatoes, feta, olives, mint, bell pepper and shallots in a bowl. Add the cooled barley.
- Whisk together the red wine vinegar and olive oil in a separate small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Dress the salad and toss. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
COOKS TIP: It’s best to make the barley salad at least 3 hours ahead of time so the flavors have time to mingle.
HEY!: If you’re not using quick-cooking pearled barley, which takes 15 minutes to cook in boiling water vs 60 you could save some time in the kitchen by soaking your grains a day before. That makes working with traditional pearled barley SO much easier when considering that NOBODY has time to wait 60 minutes in the kitchen anymore.